Re: Let's think about removing Python 2.1 and 2.2

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:54:10AM -0700, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 13:40, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > I once had a discussion with Matthias Klose about reducing the number
> > of Python versions in Debian and he said he'd like to get rid of 2.1
> > and 2.2 after sarge is out.  If I remember correctly, a problem is
> > that 2.1 is needed by Jython and 2.1 by Zope.  Can someone please work
> > on a plan to move these packages to a newer version of Python and to
> > get rid of 2.1 and 2.2 (and maybe 2.3) in time for etch?
>
> I think there is a subtle but significant difference between removing
> and no-longer supporting.
>
> Sure, don't waste time and effort on supporting old Python's, but let's
> hold off on removing them for a while... until the rest of the world has
> well and truely moved on to Python2.4, there will be plenty of people
> who appreciate being able to develop and test against all the 2.1+
> versions of Python on one platform.
>
> If these are removed from Debian, then we will need an "unofficial
> repository" where they can be put for developers who want/need them...
> and personaly I hate unofficial repositories.

(Sorry I'm late in replying to this).

I second this position.

I did some hacking on pychecker earlier this year, and it was really
nice to have 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 all available on the same Debian
system.  I would be disappointed if Debian dropped these interpreters
completely for etch.

Hopefully, it wouldn't be too difficult to continue supporting these
interpreters until upstream declares them dead.  I don't think it would
take too much effort (since they don't seem to change too often), but
perhaps Gregor Hoffleit or Matthias Klose will speak up and let me know
differently.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>