Re: Let's think about removing Python 2.1 and 2.2

Le mardi 12 juillet 2005 à 14:35 -0500, Kenneth Pronovici a écrit :
> I did some hacking on pychecker earlier this year, and it was really
> nice to have 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 all available on the same Debian
> system.  I would be disappointed if Debian dropped these interpreters
> completely for etch.
>
> Hopefully, it wouldn't be too difficult to continue supporting these
> interpreters until upstream declares them dead.

I strongly disagree. Not only does supporting too many versions of the
interpreter is more difficult - not speaking of the added burden to the
security team - but this is cluttering the archive, complicating the
maintainers' work and the major version transitions, wasting time that
could be spent to more useful tasks. Having only one python version (at
least for most packages) would save hundreds of packages in the
distribution, and it's that less work for maintainers.