Re: Packaging for zope 3

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:32:50PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Brian Sutherland writes:
> > Seems most of the discussion on zope 3 happens on this mailing list, so
> > I'm putting my questions here.
> >
> > I'm currently packaging SchoolBell, what will be a calendering library
> > for zope X3.1 as well as a calendaring server in its own right. Right now
> > there are no zope X3.1 packages (nor even a zope X3.1:), so I am including
> > a large portion of the current zope trunk checkout. (Very dirty hack)
>
> I'm unsure about packaging the trunk for Debian until an upstream beta
> version is released.

I think this is something I have resigned myself to live with until 3.1 is
released. I keep a bug filed against the packages to prevent them going into
sarge until this gets fixed.

We discussed going back to 3.0 but it was decided to be too painfull.

> > But it would be nice to get things right for the future. So:
> >
> > Is there anyone working on a zope X package that I could depend on for
> > the needed modules? I have seen such a package in Ubuntu, but Debian is
> > kind of lacking.
>
> it's upload to experimental. until it get's out of the new queue,
> please find the packages at http://people.debian.org/~doko/zope3/

Sorry, I didn't know that they were in the new queue! Thanks, Thanks,
Thanks.

> > The package naming scheme I am thinking of using is:
> > schoolbell                        - Config and binaries for a schoolbell
> >                                     standalone server
> > zope3.1-python2.3-schoolbell      - The zope libraries themselves
>
> good question, but do you want to change the python version for a
> specific zope version?

Personally, I think it is overkill, but was working off the draft zope policy.

If the zope package will support more than one python version for
specific versions of zope, it makes sense. If not, then
zope3.1-schoolbell would probably be better.

--
Brian Sutherland

It's 10 minutes, 5 if you walk fast.