Re: Correct location of .py and .pyc files

Hi Florent,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 03:50:35PM +0100, Florent Rougon wrote:
> [Ugh, sorry for the double message, Marco]

Worry not! :)

> Yes, but obviously you haven't read the Python policy draft
> (/usr/share/doc/python/python-policy.txt.gz) nor Josselin's proposal at
> http://people.debian.org/~joss/python/python-policy-draft.html/index.html.
> They are must reads for anyone packaging something that is
> python-related.

Lots of good and important info there. Thanks for the pointers.

And now, for some conclusions (or so we hope):

- According to Python's Policy, section 3.1.1, private modules should be
  installed in /usr/lib/site-python/module, /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/module
  or /usr/lib/package. In my case, it makes more sense to install them
  under /usr/lib/package, as they're private.

- I should bytecompile the modules at installation time. This matches my
  original expectations. However, the Python Policy is not clear about
  where I should put the byte-compiled files. Is /usr/lib/package an
  acceptable place? It would sure be nice to keep them together with
  their "source" counterparts.

Another question: My application has some "skeleton" files that are copied
to the user's home directory by an installation program. Robert Millan (my
Debian guru, in the Cc:) has recommended /usr/share/doc/package/something,
but I'd like to keep those out of the documentation tree. Is there any other
place where I should put those?

Regards,
Paga