Re: python 2.2 -> python 2.3 transition

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:42:56PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:

| > > No. There is a reason they are not installable... they don't work with
| > > python (2.3)
| >
| > But they do with Python 2.2... why not let them at least be installable with
| > that version?
|
| Because the package maintainer chose not to. Maybe he/she is regretting
| that now :-)

I hope so ... (because then it will be changed in the next upload :-))

| I personally agree that anyone producing python extension modules should
| be using the pythonX.Y-foo + python-foo wrapper approach. This would
| mean their old pythonX.Y-foo packages would still work during and after
| a python transition. You get "legacy support" for free.

That's the beautiful part of using that set of depends.

| > > Fortunately, most "python-foo" packages are simple wrappers that have
| > > "Depends: python2.2-foo", so they are very small and easy to "fix" for
| > > python (2.3) (changed to "Depends: python2.3-foo").
| >
| > That makes a lot of sense to me, and I have no quibble with that approach.
| > If libwxgtk2.4-python took that approach, I'd have no complaints as I could
| > still install and use the lib under Python 2.2.  As it is, that is
| > impossible, even though the lib remains compatible with Python 2.2.
|
| You can file a wishlist bug against libwxgtk2.4-python requesting that
| it use that approach if you like. I would if it annoyed me :-)

If enough of us submit the bug will it get fixed?  ;-)
(I know, it's up to the maintainer, not you)

| Note that libwxgtk2.4-python _does_ work with python (2.2).

Yes.

| You can always install python (2.2) from testing and it will all
| work.

Not anymore :

# apt-get -s install python/testing
eading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 2.2.3-3 (Debian:testing) for python
[... you know the long message ...]

  python: Depends: python2.2 (>= 2.2.3-2.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

# dpkg -l python | tail -1
ii  python2.2      2.2.3-4        An interactive high-level object-oriented la

So what's the problem?  The problem is

$ apt-cache show python2.3 | grep Depends | head -1
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), libdb4.1,
            libncurses5 (>= 5.3.20030510-1), libreadline4 (>= 4.3-1),
            libssl0.9.7, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), python (>= 2.3)
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This wasn't an issue until Matthias added that versioned dependency on
'python' in response to bug #204748.  In so doing, he has prevented
people from having the fully functioning 'python' package (version
2.2) installed alongside the fully functioning 'python2.3' package and
use libraries with the version of python that they are currently
available for.

IMO there should not be a pythonX.Y -> python dependency.  Instead,
the problem reported in bug #204748 can be solved by requiring all
pythonX.Y related packages to use /usr/bin/pythonX.Y instead of
/usr/bin/python.  Only packages which depend directly on 'python' can
use /usr/bin/python.

In fact, I'm tempted to hack up my local copy of the dependencies so
that dpkg will overlook this artificial conflict and allow me to have
wxPython (even though I haven't used it personally since my school
projects are finished) and see what 'GNUe' is all about.

| Note that python in testing will never be broken like this. The
| dependencies ensure that testing can only transition to python (2.3)
| when everything works.

True, but I want the best ;-).  (that is, I've had python2.3 installed
for around a year now; ever since Matthias started providing the
pre-alpha snapshots)

-D

PS. Thanks, Matthias, for providing the 2.3 packages so early!  I
    really enjoyed having it available!

--
Consider what God has done:
    Who can straighten what He has made crooked?

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/