Re: Splitting ZODB from Zope package

Andreas Tille writes:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> > I do not agree on one thing though: the majority of Products for zope are
> > python source code and so they are architecture independent. That's quite the
> > same for other python modules. We should not store that files under /usr/lib but
> > under /usr/share as stated in FHS.
> Completely agreed here.  My suggestion was only made to keep compliance
> with Python policy.
>
> > We should change python policy to include /usr/share directory in sys.path as
> > well as it was for /usr/local. (That would save at least 1/2 of python
> > policy).
> If we change Python policy according to this I would fully agree here.

see #134762 and http://python.org/sf/588756.

Anybody to write the PEP and define the import rules?

- which order do have arch dependent and arch-independent directories?
  concatenated, intertwined?

- how should packages install their files, when providing shared
  modules and .py files? how to do this in a compatible way?

I think, such a change should be submitted upstream first. Maybe it's
still some time to include this in 2.3. But I hesitate to apply such a
patch for Debian on it's own.

	Matthias