Re: PythonCard packaging advice?

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:59:17AM -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > > I've now noticed that this doesn't conform to policy and I'm a little
> > > confused about what packages I should provide.
> > Only the name of the module package is against policy -  it should be
> > python-pythoncard.

> I'm going to take this to mean python2.2-pythoncard/python2.3-pythoncard
> based on the rest of your reply.  Let me know if I'm wrong.

In general, you have a single source package (e.g. python-pythoncard) which
builds/installs for each available Python version (and Build-Depends on the
-dev version for each of those, obviously) into a python<version>-pythoncard
package, and an empty python-pythoncard package that Depends on the
currently-preferred python version (2.2 at the moment.) There are several
examples to be found in current unstable; practically all hits on:

apt-cache search --names-only python2.2-

You can just apt-get source one of them, or a few of them, and see how they
did it. I did it with python-opengl2 using a single variable in debian/rules
holding all to-be-built-against Python versions, but you can also check the
dependencies in your own controls file, so you only have to change one
location when adding Python versions.

> Anyway, I had been thinking that /usr/share/pythoncard was a better
> place for a set of samples this big.  If I'm wrong about that, I guess
> I'll move the samples into /usr/share/doc/pythoncard along with the rest
> of the documentation.

The examples typically belong to the documentation. If people really worry
about the diskspace, they aren't likely to install the documentation either.
Be sure to either refer people from /usr/share/doc/python-pythoncard/ to
/usr/share/doc/python-pythoncard-doc (or wherever you install it) or have
your -doc package install the docs in /usr/share/doc/python-pythoncard,
though.

> > python2.2-pythoncard Depends: python2.2
> > python2.3-pythoncard Depends: python2.3
> > pythoncard-doc Depends: python2.2-pythoncard | python2.3-pythoncard

> To the point of the other reply on this thread, why make the docs depend
> on the other two packages?  In case it matters, the documentation I
> split off is mostly developer documentation.

You're thinking the wrong way around. In the above example, pythoncard-doc
depends on python2.2-pythoncard or python2.3-pythoncard. You need either of
the latter two installed to install the former. In other words, you can't
install pythoncard-doc (with examples) if you don't have the python
libraries installed to actually run the examples or your own developed
code :) Makes sense, right ?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>