Re: PythonCard packaging advice?

> > I've now noticed that this doesn't conform to policy and I'm a little
> > confused about what packages I should provide.
> Only the name of the module package is against policy -  it should be
> python-pythoncard.

I'm going to take this to mean python2.2-pythoncard/python2.3-pythoncard
based on the rest of your reply.  Let me know if I'm wrong.

> > This is getting a bit more complicated than I expected it to be.  I'd
> > appreciate any advice you can give me.
> I don't know why you split docs and samples, I'd put them in one package,
> the samples go into /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples/. The doc package
> depending on either of the library packages. The user can decide
> which pythoncard version to use for the samples.

I guess this is part of my problem.  I know that generally, examples go
where you've suggested.  Most of the time, though, this seems to be for
just a few examples that never really get run but are just used as a
starting point.  The PythonCard samples are as much a demo or
advertisement as a set of examples.  There's a GUI front-end that is
used to interactively pick-and-choose which of the 43 separate sample
programs to run.

Even with no .pyc or .pyo files in the samples directory, it takes up
more space than the installed site-packages directory.  I figured that
someone who just wanted to depend on the PythonCard modules would not
necessarily want to install all 43 sample programs.

Anyway, I had been thinking that /usr/share/pythoncard was a better
place for a set of samples this big.  If I'm wrong about that, I guess
I'll move the samples into /usr/share/doc/pythoncard along with the rest
of the documentation.

> python2.2-pythoncard Depends: python2.2
> python2.3-pythoncard Depends: python2.3
> pythoncard-doc Depends: python2.2-pythoncard | python2.3-pythoncard

To the point of the other reply on this thread, why make the docs depend
on the other two packages?  In case it matters, the documentation I
split off is mostly developer documentation.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@ieee.org>
Personal Homepage: http://www.skyjammer.com/~pronovic/