Re: Python upgrade, dependencies of python-numeric

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:03:21PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:15:35PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > > I see python-numeric and python-numeric-ext have versioned dependencies
> > > on the python meta package. It doesn't look necessary to me, there are
> > > python2.2-numeric and python2.1-numeric packages, these depend on the
> > > required python versions.
> >
> > If I understand you, python-numeric should have
> > Depends: python, python2.2-numeric
> > This wont work for python != 2.2.
> >
> > Cheers, Bastian
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of python-numeric not depending on
> python. python2.2-numeric depends on python2.2 already... however, I see
> the versioned python dependence is specifically recommended in
> python-policy.
>
> I guess the problem is, if you have "python-numeric" installed, you
> assume it will work with the default python. Hence you must know that
> your python-numeric package and the python package are in sync, hence
> the versioned dependency.
>
> My apologies for not thinking it through properly before.

I was just about to post a big explanation...again, when I saw you had
figured it out :-)

Does anyone think the Python policy need a bit more explanation here? would
some "use-cases" help?

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key