Re: Python upgrade, dependencies of python-numeric

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:15:35PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > I see python-numeric and python-numeric-ext have versioned dependencies
> > on the python meta package. It doesn't look necessary to me, there are
> > python2.2-numeric and python2.1-numeric packages, these depend on the
> > required python versions.
>
> If I understand you, python-numeric should have
> Depends: python, python2.2-numeric
> This wont work for python != 2.2.
>
> Cheers, Bastian

I was thinking more along the lines of python-numeric not depending on
python. python2.2-numeric depends on python2.2 already... however, I see
the versioned python dependence is specifically recommended in
python-policy.

I guess the problem is, if you have "python-numeric" installed, you
assume it will work with the default python. Hence you must know that
your python-numeric package and the python package are in sync, hence
the versioned dependency.

My apologies for not thinking it through properly before.

Hugo van der Merwe