dependencies of non-module packages

hi,

i just had a little email exchange with Christian Kurz about dput and i
think the python policy need to be clarified. some background...

last upload of python broke dput dependencies: they were

	python (>= 2.1), python (<<2.2)

because even if dput is supposed to work on 2.2 it was never tested.
now, because dput is _supposed_ to work on multiple python versions
(even if now n = 1) the packager did not make it depend on a versioned
version (no pun intended) of the package.

the policy seems clear enough to me but maybe i am wrong or the policy
is not completely clear. my interpretation is that a non-module package
(i.e, containing only end-user scripts) that depends on _some_ versions
of python should depends on any of the valid versioned packages. example
for dput (when tested on 2.2):

	python2.1 | python 2.2

mm.. but that does not pull the right *default* python if not yet
installed. so what about the versioned main package and then the valid
alternatives? mm..

--
Federico Di Gregorio
INIT.D Developer                                           fog@initd.org