Re: python-central comments

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 07:48:31PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Some comments:
>
> - python-central should have a configuration option, how files are
>   compiled. Most users don't need compilation with -O.
I will have commandline options for this, so the module packager can
decide what to compile or not.

> Maybe a debconf option?
This would enable the user, not the packager, to decide compilation.
After a dpkg-reconfigure, there would have to be either a recompile
or a .py[co] file cleaning. I will make this later, not in the 0.x
versions.

> - A separate command to install a python version would be useful.
>   Assume I rename the packages again, or you want it to use for
>   jython as well.
Dont know. Please dont rename the packages :)
Ok, serious, the script depends on a /usr/bin/pythonX.Y and
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y scheme. I think this is guaranteed in the
Python Policy.
As for jython, I have never used it, so I cant tell.

> - A package should have the possibility that it's incompatibe with
>   a specific python version or that it only works with specific
>   versions.
This is done by only depending on the supported Python versions, eg
Depends: python1.5 | python2.2

> - A command is missing to recompile all registered packages when
>   the default python version changes.
There is nothing in python-central about the default "python"
packages, only versioned "pythonX.Y" packages are considered.
So it is safe to change the default Python version without
touching python-central.

> - How do packages like mailman make profit from python-central?
>   They don't install into /usr/lib/python/site-packages, but
>   their python files need to be recompiled on a python version
>   change.
Mailman should put his modules in /usr/lib/python/site-packages.
Of course packagers can put their stuff in /usr/share/<package>/
or /usr/lib/<package> and use their own Python-version-compile
script, but then they are on their own.

cu,
--
     Bastian Kleineidam