Re: python-gtk and python-gtk2 (and gnome packages), please comment

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:09:33AM +0200, Florent Rougon wrote:

> > that route. But - do we want to continue supporting the old gnome
> > for sarge? Otherwise I would be for removing the old binding
> > entirely before the next release. Just wondering if any dependent
> > package will be updated for the new gnome.
>
> Of course I understand that the transition between python-gnome and
> python-gnome2 is not an easy task, but Debian packages are probably not
> the only thing to consider when it comes to removing the old binding.
> People may have local apps that are not packaged and use the old
> binding. However, they will presumably have time to speak up or port
> their apps to gnome2 before sarge is released.

Problem with this: No matter which python-gnome release shall be used
the upstream will use "import gnome.ui". So which binding should he
get?

I am in favor of giving him the new bindings by default. If anybody
really needs the old stuff again we can still put it into another
directory and have python prepend it to the search path.

Let's see if such a package is really needed. I won't have a problem with
maintaining it but I rather spend the time on more important stuff...

Thanks

	Torsten