Re: Python 2.0 in Debian

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:51:14PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > >
> > > If somebody could give me a legal advice that the Python license is in fact
> > > compatible with the GPL, and if this was accepted by the guys at
> > > debian-legal@lists.debian.org, I would happily adopt this opinion and that
> > > would make (b) go away as well.
> > >
> > > Until this happens, I think the best way for Debian to handle this situation
> > > (clearly not perfect!) is to use a per-case judgement--if there's GPL code
> > > in a package, ask the author if it's okay to use it with Python2 code. If he
> > > says alright, go on with packaging.
> >
> > Say, what kind of clause is needed in licenses to make them explicitly
> > GPL-compatible without harming the license conditions in all other
> > cases where the GPL is not involved ?
>
> Hmm, during the great KDE confusion (KDE was GPL, and Qt was not compatible
> with the GPL), it was suggested that the authors of the KDE code should add
> this clause to their license boiler plate (cf.
> http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008):
>
>   `This program is distributed under the GNU GPL v2, with the
>     additional permission that it may be linked against Troll Tech's Qt
>     library, and distributed, without the GPL applying to Qt''

Uhm, that's backwards from what I had in mind with the question.
Sorry for not being more to the point.

Here's the "problem" I have: I want to put my code under a license
similar to the Python 2 license (that is including the choice of
law clause which caused all this trouble).

Since some of my code is already being used by GPL-software
out there,I would like to add some kind of extra-clause to
the license which permits the GPL-code authors to the new versions
as well.

This is somewhat similar to the problem that Python2 has with the GPL;
don't know how CNRI is going to change the license for 1.6.1, but I
want to include something similar in my license.

Anyway, since Debian is very sensitive to these issues, I thought
I'd ask you for a possible way out.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg