Re: Python 2.0 in Debian (was: Re: [Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals)

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> If somebody could give me a legal advice that the Python license is in fact
> compatible with the GPL, and if this was accepted by the guys at
> debian-legal@lists.debian.org, I would happily adopt this opinion and that
> would make (b) go away as well.
>
> Until this happens, I think the best way for Debian to handle this situation
> (clearly not perfect!) is to use a per-case judgement--if there's GPL code
> in a package, ask the author if it's okay to use it with Python2 code. If he
> says alright, go on with packaging.

Say, what kind of clause is needed in licenses to make them explicitly
GPL-compatible without harming the license conditions in all other
cases where the GPL is not involved ?

> If he says nogo (as the FSF did for
> readline), do away with the package (therefore python2-base doesn't include
> readline support).

Oh boy... about time we switch to editline as the default line
editing package.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg