Re: zope, zope-popyda, psycopg and python1.5-{,egenix-}mxdatetime

Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 21:24, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > Joel Rosdahl <joel@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Sounds like you guys could use a python1.5 version of
> > > mxdatetime, then...
>
> the ones without egenix in the name? too old.

I was vague on purpose since I didn't know if the 1.3.0 or 2.0.2
version was needed.

> > > I'm willing to maintain such a package, but the best solution is
> > > maybe that one of you creates a separate python1.5 mxdatetime
> > > package as you like and also maintains it?
>
> i can maintain the egenix stuff if you like (after all i wrote the
> original patches to build egenix 2.0.2) but splitting the package
> is, imo, a bad thing. it should be maintaned by a signle developer
> (doesn't matter who.)

Yes, since it's the new version we're talking about, I too think it's
better not to split the package.  But there was some talk on this list
about that it would be better to use different source packages in some
cases.  For example, in

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2001/debian-python-200110/msg00140.html

Mathias writes:

| > Have all these packages to be built with the same source?
|
| No. Although it avoids source code duplication, it makes it more
| difficult to remove an older version. My proposal would be to build
| 1.5 and 2.0 packages from one source and 2.1 and 2.2 packages from
| another source package, so the first source package and binary
| packages can easily be removed.

In

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2001/debian-python-200110/msg00142.html

I asked why it would be better to do it this way instead of just
uploading (when 1.5 is obsolete) a new version of the source package
that simply doesn't include the obsolete binary packages.  But now
when I read his answer in

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2001/debian-python-200110/msg00143.html

I think he maybe misunderstood me.

Care to elaborate, Mathias?

Anyway, do you think I should

1. build python1.5 versions of all egenix mx packages (easier and more
   consequent, but also bloatier), or
2. build just a python1.5-egenix-mxdatetime?

        Regards,
        Joel

--
Joel Rosdahl <joel@debian.org>   (PGP and GPG keys available)