Re: what to do about python-kjbuckets

On Nov 04, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Donovan Baarda writes:
> > On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 05:23:30PM +0100, Joel Rosdahl wrote:
> > [...]
> > > But there is a problem: The current (from 1997) upstream version[1]
> > > doesn't work with Python >= 2.0.  Now, Berthold Hoellmann, Oleg
> > > Broytmann and others have ported[2] kjbuckets to work with newer
> > > Pythons, but it's not as official as one could hope.  For instance,
> > > the version number is still the same as the old upstream version
> > > (2.2).
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what to do.  Here's a couple of solutions:
> > [...]
> > > 2) Only make a python1.5-kjbuckets package.  (Nah.)
> > [...]
> > > 5) Use date in version, i.e. 2.2.port.20011104 or similar.  (Best
> > >    solution I can come up with.)
> > [...]
> >
> > I would hope that you also make a python1.5-kjbuckets so that older
> > python1.5 programs that used it can still use it. You them also make a
> > python2.2-kjbuckets (2.2.0-port.20011104) package if you want something
> > newer.
>
> do we really need 1.5 support? gadfly was just orphaned, someone would
> have to look at routeplanner. Can these packages use 2.1?

routeplanner runs under Python 2.1 with no modifications, and works
with the "unofficial" kjbuckets.  I'm mainly waiting on python-gnome
to get updated...

It will run without kjbuckets at all, but there's about a 15%
performance penalty under Python 1.5.  Dunno about 2.x...

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/