Re: What should we do now?

Anthony Towns writes:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:32:33AM -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > How about we just say "Don't install other versions of python in
> > > /usr/local" ?
> > Please no.  Making this work properly is not hard.
>
> Again, _why_ does this matter? Who does this? Is it even remotely common?
> That people would even consider installing another version of python in
> /usr/local surely just points to a problem with the Debian packaging, no?
>
> The problems with using "#!/usr/bin/python1.5" is threefold: first, it
> makes dependencies that much more complicated: *all* python scripts have
> to depend on versioned modules in every way, ie "Depends: python1.5-base,
> python1.5-glade, python1.5-gtk, python1.5-numeric", second it means *all*
> python executables need to be modified at the source level for every
> python upgrade, and finally it makes Debian veer away from upstream
> standards for python scripts.
>
> And all this for what, precisely?

hmm, If I install python1.5-examples, I would expect, that the
examples run with python1.5; same for python2.1-examples. So yes, if I
have a legacy python1.5-numeric package, I tend to call python1.5
explicitely.

The source modification can be made at package build time, so that is
not problematic.

> If you install new versions of standard tools in /usr/local you have
> to be careful. This applies to a hypothetical /usr/local/bin/dpkg, or
> a /usr/local/bin/sed, or whatever. Going out of your way to make sure
> it doesn't apply to a /usr/local/bin/python seems to this observer a
> complete waste of time.

IMO Using "#!/usr/bin/env pythonX.Y" is maybe necessary for some
scripts.

	Matthias