Re: What should we do now?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:32:33AM -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:13:17AM +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > > Say, you would install 2.1.2 in /usr/local.
> > How about we just say "Don't install other versions of python in
> > /usr/local" ?
> Please no.  Making this work properly is not hard.

Again, _why_ does this matter? Who does this? Is it even remotely common?
That people would even consider installing another version of python in
/usr/local surely just points to a problem with the Debian packaging, no?

The problems with using "#!/usr/bin/python1.5" is threefold: first, it
makes dependencies that much more complicated: *all* python scripts have
to depend on versioned modules in every way, ie "Depends: python1.5-base,
python1.5-glade, python1.5-gtk, python1.5-numeric", second it means *all*
python executables need to be modified at the source level for every
python upgrade, and finally it makes Debian veer away from upstream
standards for python scripts.

And all this for what, precisely?

If you install new versions of standard tools in /usr/local you have
to be careful. This applies to a hypothetical /usr/local/bin/dpkg, or
a /usr/local/bin/sed, or whatever. Going out of your way to make sure
it doesn't apply to a /usr/local/bin/python seems to this observer a
complete waste of time.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt