Re: What should we do now?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:13:17AM +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Say, you would install 2.1.2 in /usr/local.

How about we just say "Don't install other versions of python in
/usr/local" ?

Or even "If you install versions of python in /usr/local, things could
break.  We don't support this."

Or even "If you install a different subrelease of the version of python
you've got installed, you'll need to be careful to install all the
modules you use for that version of python too."

Optimise for the common case, and make it easy for people to stay within
the bounds of things we support. Don't obsess about making sure an admin
can never possibly break anything.

Without the admin going out of his way to break the system (by partially
installing a version of python in /usr/local, eg) are there any real
problems with executable scripts invoking "#!/usr/bin/env python",
and having "the appropriate" dependencies?

And again, this isn't an exercise in formal specification, it's more
important to get something that's effective, useful and easily implemented
right now than something that's provably correct assuming FHS and policy.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt