Re: RFC: python-base, debconf and py/pyc files

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:39:07PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> I wonder if I should debconf-ify python-base and add an debconf option that
> sets a system-wide policy about how to deal with .py/.pyc files. That could
> be one of:
>
>   * install both .py and .pyc files
>   * install only .pyc files
>   * install only .py files

You forgot about .pyo files.  I don't think this is worth doing.
If you care about space it would be better to look through the
library and remove what you don't need.  Perhaps the trimming
process would include:

    find /usr/lib/python2.1 -name '*.py' | xargs rm

The .py files comprise 13% of the space used by a Python 2.1b2
install.  I don't think the savings are worth the cost (poor
tracebacks, more for work Gregor).

  Neil