Re: RFC: python-base, debconf and py/pyc files

Gregor Hoffleit (2001-03-23 21:39:07 +0100) :

> currently, our Python packages mostly ship .py files and compile
> them into .pyc files at run time in order to save space in the debs.

The Python situation sounds remarkably like the Emacs one, don't you
think?  We have several (okay, two) flavours, and the modules provide
source that can be byte-compiled at install-time.

  Maybe we could reuse the Emacs way?  Ask Joey to add a dh_python,
write up a /usr/lib/pythonen-common/python-install, and byte-compile
at install-time for all the present flavours?

  Just an idea, of course.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Chaos always defeats order, because it is better organized.
  -- Ly Tin Wheedle, in Interesting Times (Terry Pratchett)