Re: RFC: python-base, debconf and py/pyc files

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@mediasupervision.de> wrote:

> currently, our Python packages mostly ship .py files and compile them into
> ..pyc files at run time in order to save space in the debs.
>
> There's no reason, though, to keep the .py files on machines that only
> deploy software[1]

Yes there is --- tracebacks look awful without .py's.
Fact is, loading of only .pyc's isn't officially supported by Python.
(the official Guido position is "Python is an open-source language. I'm
not going to waste my time *helping you* not distribute source")

I do think we need somewhere where all the .pyc's are "registered", so when
a new version of Python comes along, it can recompile them, since pycs
are not compatible across versions.
--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,