Re: Proposal: Reorganizing Python for Python2 (and fixes for the previous proposal)

Rob Tillotson <robt@debian.org> writes:

> Well, it's not a matter of switching, really -- it's a matter of
> having multiple versions of the interpreter installed at the same time
> and being able to use any of them at any time.

  Well, even there are two or more interpreters installed on the system
  you will have to switch from one interpreter to another.

  What is problematic is having modules compiled for the right version
  whatever interpreter you choose.

> Right now, I am forced to maintain two copies of a lot of stuff: one
> copy installed from Debian packages for Python 1.5, and another copy
> installed from upstream source for Python 2.0.  I would rather not
> have to do this, if there is a nice technological solution available.

  Duplicating modules what the main purpose of my proposal, I agree.

> Another place where this could occur is on a multiuser system, where
> different users use different Python versions.  There, it seems like a
> poor solution to force the admin to choose which Python will have good
> performance, and which will have to recompile stuff on every import.
> (This is not just a matter of what /usr/bin/python points to -- it is
> a matter of what happens even if you explicitly pick a version, if
> that version isn't the one the .pycs are compiled for.)

  So, do you intent to allow users to choose what version of python
  they want to use on the same machine ?

> The advantage of this over something like "Depends: python-base |
> python2-base" is that it is easily expandable to support more

  I know how virtual packages work. But I'm just suprised that
  you can install more than 1 package that provide python-interpreter
  at a time. But it seems to be possible.

  Your solution seems to be a good solution.

  I'm offering my help if needed.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://jerome.marant.free.fr