Re: Proposal: Reorganizing Python for Python2 (and fixes for the previous proposal)

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 10:14:17AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >       * we make /usr/bin/python point to python 2 thanks to alternatives
>
> Oh gag. This was the same thing that's made perl such a mess. The major
> problem (or one of them) is that packages that need python 2 can't rely
> on /usr/bin/python actually being python 2 if you do this.

  I'm just proposing this as a good start for reflexion but it is rather
  different than perl as all modules that are specific to a given interpreter
  cannot be access by another interpreter.

  Well, if you make python2-specific modules depend on python2, they'll be
  sure that python2 is installed.
  Then you can warn people that they can only switch to an earlier version
  thanks to a small script that runs update-alternatives and does a
  compileall in /usr/lib/python/site-packages as I explained.

  And thanks to a small change in the interpreter, the current version
  looks for modules in /usr/lib/python/<version>/site-packages and
  then /usr/lib/python/site-package. Other modules are invisible.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://jerome.marant.free.fr