Re: Proposal: Reorganizing Python for Python2 (and fixes for the previous proposal)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 09:16:51AM -0600, Rob Tillotson wrote:
| jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
| >   And thanks to a small change in the interpreter, the current version
| >   looks for modules in /usr/lib/python/<version>/site-packages and
| >   then /usr/lib/python/site-package. Other modules are invisible.
|
| Note that there is no change to the interpreter necessary to achieve
| this.  Debian Python installations already search in both
| /usr/lib/python<version>/site-packages and /usr/lib/site-python for packages.
|
| I would like to make a counterproposal regarding how to handle the
| issue of compiling .pycs for multiple versions:

Are .pyc's incompatible across versions or did the bytecode spec
remain the same?

In any case, I would expect the 2.0 interpreter to be able to read
1.5.2 bytecode. If the modules are compatible with different versions,
then it must not use any new features not found in all versions.  What
I'm getting at is the 1.5 interpreter could be used to byte-compile
the source and then both interpreters use the 1.5-generated bytecode.

(Does anyone know where the bytecode format is documented?  I am
interested in understanding how bytecode works and is designed.)

-D