Re: question on packaging of python applications

Mike Coleman <mcoleman2@kc.rr.com> writes:
> Okay, but I'm thinking that not all .pycs should necessarily go in
> /usr/lib/pythonX.X (or whatever).  I was thinking that generally useful python
> code should go in those directories, but that code that's really only useful
> as part of a particular application should go under /usr/lib/<application>
> somewhere.  (That's what I did for 'subterfugue'.)
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, the whole "where does it go" thing is really only an issue for
Python add-ons, not applications that happen to use or be written in
Python.  (An extreme case of this would be where the application
embeds an interpreter and defines certain things in C, so that its
Python scripts might not even be importable by the normal
interpreter.)  Those can go wherever it is appropriate to put them,
probably /usr/share/<foo> or /usr/lib/<foo>...

--Rob

p.s. please everyone, stop sending private copies of mailing list
posts

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB  <robt@debian.org>