Re: question on packaging of python applications

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 09:39:45PM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> > BTW, what's the reason of making packages containing .py files?  Is not it
> > better to include only .pyo and .pyc files?  And for those who really need
> > sources there those source packages?
>
> No! These are needed at run-time, togive better tracebacks.
Really?  I am not sure.  I can agree on your second stateme
> This is *crucial* for Python developers, since many time the traceback
> descends into the core modules, and it's important to be able to see what the
> proble is.

> IF you want, you can put the source files in the -dev packkage, though I
> still wouldn't recommend it.
Why?  I do think that it's a good idea to separate .py{c,o} files from .py
ones.  Look, I like mailman and want to make use of it, let's see:

Installed-Size: 1298

That's way too much for a server or something.

> Not putting the .pyc's is of course unacceptable too, unless the installation
> procedure creates them.

> THe reason is that since these are on /usr/lib, when an ordinary user imports
> them, no .pyc will be written since the user has no permissions there.
I believe that it's a good idea to depend on a specific version of python
anyway, and in this case, the package can easily ship .py{c,o} files only.

If the system administrator needs to what exactly happened, he can install -dev
package, or a source one.

To be honest, I want to see more arguments in favour of the current situation.  :)

--
Misha