Re: question on packaging of python applications

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Michael Sobolev wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 06:31:10PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >   There is no need to include .pyc and .pyo in packages as python programs
> >   can work without at first use. Moreover, this makes packages
> >   bigger.
> BTW, what's the reason of making packages containing .py files?  Is not it
> better to include only .pyo and .pyc files?  And for those who really need
> sources there those source packages?

No! These are needed at run-time, togive better tracebacks. This is
*crucial* for Python developers, since many time the traceback descends
into the core modules, and it's important to be able to see what the
proble is. IF you want, you can put the source files in the -dev packkage,
though I still wouldn't recommend it.  Not putting the .pyc's is of course
unacceptable too, unless the installation procedure creates them. THe
reason is that since these are on /usr/lib, when an ordinary user imports
them, no .pyc will be written since the user has no permissions there.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez