Re: question on packaging of python applications

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Michael Sobolev wrote:

> Why?  I do think that it's a good idea to separate .py{c,o} files from .py
> ones.

As was mentioned before, .py{c,o} is very specific to Python minor
version. The Python development team, while it is firmly commited to
source-compatability, has no intention of promising byte-code level
compatability. So, that would make .pyc packages depend on a specific
version, which is bad.

>  Look, I like mailman and want to make use of it, let's see:
>
> Installed-Size: 1298
>
> That's way too much for a server or something.

Huh? I never heard of anyone else who had a problem with mailman's size.

> I believe that it's a good idea to depend on a specific version of python
> anyway

Why?

> If the system administrator needs to what exactly happened, he can install -dev
> package, or a source one.

A source one won't help him *at all* since Python won't be able to find
the source files unless they're in a specific place. And I've no love
for the whole -dev situation anyway...

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez