github affecting interpretation of DFSG Re: Things to cover in my bits from the DPL talk at Debconf

Hello,

I think I would want to hear about how the upstream source trees have
changed with the broad acceptance of github and how this affects
packaging. Everybody will associate something else, anyway, I see:

 * The availability of source code is nothing special any more. People
may argue that Debian does not always need to ship it itself.

 * Repositories reference each other in github. This is perfect
"provenance". People may argue that DFSG compliance (i.e. avoiding
redundancy with what is already shipping in Debian) is inferior to
having the exact same functionality as upstream.

 * I came at least one upstream developer (and a second project) who
kindly asked not to have his code transformed into a library and a
Debian project with it. He wants his software statically linked since it
is not too big anyway and his users send patches/update at will.

I think that Debian needs to find answers to who the software
development world is changing. And a keynote may be a good place to
initiate that.

Best,

Steffen