Re: Presenting Debian to the user at cloud provider marketplaces

On 7/8/19 6:33 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 08 Jul 2019, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> We have quite a long history of displaying public acknowledgements
>>> of our sponsors' contributions.
>>
>> Really? As much as I know, writing the names of contributors (in other
>> words, doing commercial advertising) on each and every artifact Debian
>> is producing is *not* what Debian has been doing so far. Can you point
>> where I'm wrong by giving examples I'm not aware of?
>
> FWIW, I already added "Patch-sponsored-by" pseudo-headers in commits:
> https://git.dpkg.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=ffa1ec0502c8c34d5d51bff003f52b3cd732d875
>
> Many paid LTS contributors are thanking Freexian in their monthly report
> (even though they don't have to!). And even though, in the end, Freexian
> was only an intermediary.
>
> We have plenty of persons using their work email as a way to show that the
> work has been sponsored by the company. (And I do that for my work in
> Debian sponsored by Offensive Security)

Having someone credited in the Git log is something. Displaying a
company name close to what we call Debian is another. Let's say the LTS
team was producing new updated CDs for Jessie (I saw this floating
around because of some APT issues). Would you consider it normal that
we'd see, next to the download button for Jessie:

"Debian Jessie, provided by Freexian"

The say way, I would find it completely inappropriate.

> To me, it does not seem wrong to have a small mention of credativ close
> to the azure image if they did the work (even if they were paid by
> Microsoft).

We're supposed to work as a team, on one single Debian image. Though
it's currently displaying:

"Debian for Microsoft Azure provided by credativ."

If it's still using my build script, then I've done my part. If it's
using FAI, then the other Thomas did a lot too. Why aren't we greeted?
Why isn't it "Debian for Azure by Thomas Lange"? It's inappropriate and
unfair. That's not how I see collaboration inside a team.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)