Re: Shared info. about debian buster release.

    shirish> at bottom :-
    shirish> On 22/04/2019, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
    shirish> oops, the original one got archived for some grammatical
    shirish> mistakes, got republished today again with a slightly
    shirish> different link -

    shirish>
    >> https://itsfoss.com/new-features-coming-to-debian-10-buster-release/
    >>
    >> When I read the original there were some odd errors like an
    >> "optional" component in our archive.  Also, the original implied
    >> we were considering dropping python2.7 in a buster point release.

    shirish> That part about 'optional' which is a priority I fixed. As
    shirish> far as python2.7 is concerned, are we going to be having a
    shirish> python2.7 release support throughout the buster cycle after
    shirish> upstream has EOLifed.

"Debian plans to include python2.7 throughout the buster release.  It is
rare  for Debian to remove a package from a stable release during the
lifetime of that release."

Debian does have a procedure for ending security support for a package
prior to the end of life of the release including that package.  Se the
debian-security-support package for tools to determine if security
support has been ended.  Such packages are retained in the release,
security updates are not provided.  Even that procedure is rarely used.

I was not able to find a position statement on whether we expect to be
able to provide python2.7 security support throughout buster, but I
didn't look more than 20 minutes or so.  I'm confident in being quoted
on the part I quote above, but do not have sufficient personal knowledge
to comment on whether we'll be able to provide python2.7 security
support throughout buster.

If you have not read https://lwn.net/Articles/756628/ I'd recommend
doing so.  If you can get access to a recording of the session
referenced in that article, it might help you.

--Sam Hartman
Debian Project Leader