Re: Drafting announcement for shutting down ftp

Hi Laura

Sorry about the wait, I did not manage to get anything useful done.

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 01:37:39PM +0100, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> I would go to a "traditional" announcement (to be sent by mail to
> debian-announce and published in www.debian.org/News).

We need to go that route as this affects our users.  Not that much as we
did not really advertise the service for a long time.

> Feel free to commit your draft in
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/publicity/announcements.git/tree/en/drafts
> and ping us to review or continue drafting it.

Done, please take a look at it.

> We would need a title, an approximate date of publishing, and I
> suggest structuring the information stating clearly the
> recommendations/clarifications for:

If we want to disable it in November, we should get the announcement out
before may I would say.

> * Debian users (I guess that's the paragraph beginning "Please
> consider migrating..."), probably adding the two bits that Holger
> pointed out, if those are correct.

Done, somehow.

> * Mirror maintainers (?)

Not needed, as no-one would actually use this way.

> * Debian developers (I guess that's the paragraph beginning
> "Internal services...")

Yes.

> A line at the beginning mentioning the main reasons for the shutdown
> (security concerns, easiness of maintenance...) may be useful at
> least for archive purposes, as Shirish said.

Done as well.

Regards,
Bastian

--
We Klingons believe as you do -- the sick should die.  Only the strong
should live.