Debian won't be a GSOC partner organization this year

Dear all,

I *think* it was a day or two back when Laura shared that Debian won't
be a GSOC partner organization this year as a micro-news. Now
micro-news in itself is a very dense format and the way information
trickles in it, it becomes denser still.

Taking cue from olasd's e-mail and prodding a bit on IRC published
https://itsfoss.com/debian-gsoc-2017/ . The Google's lowering of
stipends I got to know when talking to couple of GSOC applicants from
my own city, Pune during last week's Science Day celebrations.

I knew that while for partner organizations it wouldn't affect what
student stipends will be, for students esp. from developing countries
like India, it is a world of difference as they do have to compete the
time taken for GSOC vis-a-viz their academic studies and performance
along with double the expenses for net and other expenses than
students in first world countries do.

I tried to be as neutral as possible while keeping students and
transparency concerns so hopefully next year we may see Google asking
its various stakeholders (including students) about introducing
changes in policy rather than announcing them unilaterally.

Looking forward to see Stretch release soonish.

Any comments, observations welcome.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल