Re: Publicity team revamp of the DPN

Dear all

El 22/09/15 a las 21:36, Donald Norwood escribió:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We've been talking recently about a new format for the DPN
> newsletter, streamlining the process, and a shift of some items
> from the newsletter and onto the blog.
>
> The DPN is not published weekly or bi-weekly but instead more on a
> monthly basis, we do need some changes to address this for a
> faster turn-around and to address where the information we share is
> presented.
>
> We find that by the time the new issue is presented it is already
> out of date with the information that our readers can gather by
> reading the mail-lists or idling in one of the many Debian IRC
> channels. While this does not distract from the DPN as an archive
> of project news and events, it does remove its ability to report
> and share information in a timely fashion.
>
> Below are two versions of the DPN newsletter, the first is the
> current format that we have been using for quite some time with the
> second as a new proposed version of the newsletter.
>
> The proposed version should allow a faster publication time for
> the newsletter as we will have shifted some of the more dynamic
> items directly to other sources of media like identi.ca and our
> blog so that we are able to avoid the publication time delays which
> make the news items post-reported or no longer relevant events.

Thanks to all the people involved in rethinking DPN and thanks Donald
for the proposal.
I mostly agree with it, but I have some minor comments.

> ---
>
> Our current format loosely adheres to the following layout. (Items
> with a * are not consistent between issues.)
>

> Current DPN
>
> Reports: Debian internal project updates on anything inside the
> project. LTS reports. *Interviews: Interviews with Debian
> Developers. These seem to be externally sourced and linked to.
> *What Do You Do?: Recently added section which asks another team
> what they do and what they work on. Tips and Tricks: Recently added
> section which gives tips and tricks to users from various members
> within Debian. *Bits from foo.d.o: Bits from a team or the DPL.
> Other News: Items that are not placed into a report. Consider these
> to be miniature announcements/ or internal news items. *Events: Bug
> Squashing Parties, miniDebConf, Debian events of interest to the
> community. New Contributors: List and links to new members of the
> project. Security Advisories DSA security advisories for packages
> which have security concerns. New and Noteworthy packages: List of
> 10-20 packages that are new in unstable. Work Needing Packages:
> Packages that are abandoned or that need help. This is an easy
> access point into Debian for new contributors. Want to continue
> reading? Publicity team information and request for users to help
> and get involved.
>
> ---
>
> Proposed DPN
>
> Reports: General news and internal reports. Path To (goal) Reports:
> LTS and Reproducible Build status/updates. *Closing for release
> (list of X items on the path to next release).
>
> Internal News/Happenings: New Contributors: List and links to new
> members of the project. *Upcoming Events: Bug Squashing Parties,
> miniDebConfs, events of interest to the community. This day in
> Debian: Link to something from the Time-line (sneak in a request to
> help with the time-line). How to contribute: Links to our own how
> to contribute page. Work needing packages. Projects that need
> help.

I'd add a link to https://contributors.debian.org. Not sure if here or
up in the section about new members. I'll try to come with a specific
"one line proposal" but everybody is invited to be faster than me.

> More than just code: (the fun section?)

mmm All Debian (and DPN) is more than just code. I know what you mean,
but if this section needs to have a published "name", I would try to
find a different one.

> Tips and tricks: Section which gives tips and tricks to users from
> various members within Debian. Interesting software: The NNWP
> section. We now would list a smaller amount of the packages 5-10?
> and expand/blurb 1 of them. Debian in the news: Outside news that
> we did not report, or favorable news from outside about the
> project. Debian in the field [Credit to Bernelle Verseter] Pieces
> about Debian in use in the world. This may be moved to bits.d.o

I agree to publish "Debian in the Field" posts in bits.debian.org.
About this specific kind of posts, I'm working together with Bernelle
and will try to show a draft/proposal in the next days.

We could add a line at the end of this section deriving to the blog:

"Follow the Debian blog [https://bits.debian.org] for "Debian in the
Field" experiences and other detailed news.

> Linux: Things that will effect the community or are on the horizon
> in Linux.

If this section needs to have a published "name", I would try to find
a different one, because we have kfreebsd and hurd and maybe news
affecting other aspects not related to the operating system (open
standards, etc).

> ----------

We could add a line at the end of each DPN:

"Follow the @debian account in social networks
([http://identi.ca/debian] in Pump.io, or its mirrors in other
networks) for other (microblogging) updates about the Debian project."

> The intention of the changes/Changes being made:
>
> Our workflow for content import has been a TODO file which is a
> collection of links used for the newsletter. Editors browse the
> TODO file, follow one of the links, and summarize the linked page
> or information into the issue. This method works well for a group
> however it does have its faults in that links may just be placed
> there to fill the newsletter, or we may over-report a topic, or the
> links become dated by the time someone is able to author a summary.
> To address those issues we are changing the name of the TODO file
> to IDEAS. The concept is the same but now allows editors to pick a
> few items from the list, summarize them,  and allow the issue
> itself to be published quickly as we no longer have to wait for the
> entire TODO file to be be completed.
>
> We will shift some of the more dynamic content to other avenues of
> media that we have access to such as identi.ca and the Debian blog
> such as the recent What Do You Do (WDYD) section and once it comes
> to fruition from the planning stages the new 'Debian in the Field'
> (DTF) section.

I think this is a good idea. We need to publicize this, though, and
publicize among translators the possibility of translating
bits.debian.org (Will try to spend time this next week on figuring out
how to do it, and document it).

> The removal of the Security Advisories which are felt at this time
> to be somewhat redundant considering that most administrators
> either subscribe to the security list and/or patch and update their
> forward facing systems on a daily basis.

We need a line explaining this in the firsts DPN issues when we don't
ship the security advisories (first 3 issues, maybe?), maybe providing
link to the RSS https://www.debian.org/security/dsa ?

As we have the RSS feed, we could microblog it too. Let me know if you
think it is a good idea.

We would loose translation of the summaries of the advisories, but
interested translators can help in translating the info in the
website, so I think it's not a loose but a win (some teams already
translate the advisories, and very fast!) :)

> The newer format of the proposed Report section allows us to report
> on long term or immediate working goals in a dedicated section
> rather than having pieces of those updates and information split
> throughout a single newsletter issue. We could also move this
> section down considering that while the information is newer, it is
> actually an updated progress report.
>
> 'Internal News' replaces the 'Other News' which focused on internal
> news items and tidbits that were not reports. This name change is a
> subtle shift to report actual news in this section rather than
> items that simply were not in the reports section.
>
> The 'How to Contribute' section offers a few easy pathways for
> prospective contributors to enter the project. Inside of it the
> 'Projects that need help' section, if adopted, could put help
> requests in a public setting rather than the normal requests for
> help buried at the bottom of an email or hidden inside a Bits
> report. We would need to inform the other teams that they can
> ask/place requests here.

With my "Welcome team" hat, I can provide "Call for helps" specific
tailored for newcomers (after checking with the corresponding teams
that there are people available to actually mentor the newcomers).
See proposal for next issue here:

http://lacaja.larjona.net/shared/3GYwpYBNCo22iArsMLdiPp4Jb6Lk-dPKx6_eEx-IWwe

> The Linux section could link to or blurb about a Debian
> derivative, Software or Policy adoption in another Distribution
> that is visible in Linux and may come to Debian or the adoption of
> something Debian does in another Distribution. This section would
> allow us to fill out the newsletter by way of our own request for
> information in the what you should send section of the How To
> Contribute page[1].
>
> [1]https://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/HowToContribute ----------
>

> And now, let us discuss!
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Donald

That's all by my side, I think. As you have seen, nothing that looks
like a "blocker", in fact, I appreciate very much the effort and my
opinion is "yes! let's go!".

Regards

- --
Laura Arjona Reina