Re: call for merchandise on -news (?)

On 2013-02-20 20:42, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
The Debian Project is pleased to announce that, according to the terms of the

I have pasted a proof-reading diff below, and I attach my edited version.

For the actual content:

It doesn't seem accurate to say that we encourage use "for all purposes" -- that would include e.g. using the Debian logo to identify some other distribution that's not Debian. Perhaps something like "encourages wide use of its marks", or just remove this clause?

I agree that the title isn't very exciting. At the risk of being even less exciting, it might be good to say "commercial and non-commercial" -- replacing it may be better though!

Moray

1c1
< Debian Logo and Artworks available for commercial usage
---
Debian Logo and Artworks available for commercial use
3,7c3,7
< The Debian Project is pleased to announce that, according to the terms of the < <a href="$(HOME)/trademark#policy">new trademark policy</a>, Debian logos and
< marks are now <a href="$(HOME)/intro/free">freely usable</a> for both
< non-commercial and commercial purposes. The Debian Project <em>encourages</em> < usage of its marks for all purposes and recommends to use them to promote Debian
---
non-commercial and commercial purposes. The Debian Project encourages
use of its marks for all purposes and recommends using them to promote Debian
11c11
< the trademark policy said <q>Software freedoms and trademarks are a difficult
---
the new trademark policy said <q>Software freedoms and trademarks are a difficult
15,18c15,18
---
and <a href="http://www.softwarefreedom.org/";>SFLC</a>, we have
struck a good balance in our new trademark policy. Among other positive things, it allows all sorts of commercial use; we only recommend clearly informing customers about how much of the sale price will be donated to
21c21
< As the date of the new stable release, Debian 7.0 Wheezy, approaches, vendors
---
As the date of the new stable release, Debian 7.0 <q>Wheezy</q>, approaches, vendors
23c23
< etc.), using the artwork of the upcoming release <link>.
---
etc.), using the upcoming release's artwork <link>.
27,29c27,29
< Check out the current list of <a href="$(HOME)/misc/merchandise">Debian < merchandise vendors</a>, and see the information at the bottom of the page if
< you want to be added do it.
---
We invite you to check out the current list of <a href="$(HOME)/misc/merchandise">Debian merchandise vendors</a>, and to see the information at the bottom of the page if
you would like to be added do it.
Debian Logo and Artworks available for commercial use

The Debian Project is pleased to announce that, according to the terms of its
and marks may now be used <a href="$(HOME)/intro/free">freely</a> for both
non-commercial and commercial purposes. The Debian Project encourages
use of its marks for all purposes and recommends using them to promote Debian
and free software.

Stefano Zacchiroli, current Debian Project Leader, one of the main promoters of
the new trademark policy said <q>Software freedoms and trademarks are a difficult
match. We all want to see well-known project names used to promote free
software, but we cannot risk they will be abused to trick users into downloading
proprietary spyware. With the help of <a href="http://www.spi-inc.org/";>SPI</a>
and <a href="http://www.softwarefreedom.org/";>SFLC</a>, we have
struck a good balance in our new trademark policy. Among other positive
things, it allows all sorts of commercial use; we only recommend clearly
informing customers about how much of the sale price will be donated to
Debian.</q>

As the date of the new stable release, Debian 7.0 <q>Wheezy</q>, approaches, vendors
are encouraged to create Wheezy-themed merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, mugs,
etc.), using the upcoming release's artwork <link>.

# a quote from events team would be great here