Re: call for merchandise on -news (?)

Hi Stefano,

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:25:34PM +0100, Debian Project Leader wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 04:27:04PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Per se, I don't think it would be worth to send out a press release for
> > "version 2.0" of a boring legal-ish document. But it occurred to me that
> > we might want to combine it with a call for merchandise for the upcoming
> > Wheezy release. An outline (or, more likely, a brain dump) of such an
> > announcement could be something like the following:
>
> Friendly reminder, in case someone really wanted to do this, but forgot
> about it :-P  I'm also adding the events time in the loop this time, as
> they are generally in charge of coordinating merchandise initiatives and
> might be interested into this as well.

Thank you for the reminder (I definitely needed it!) and the idea.

Below my very very first draft: I'd like to have some feedback especially
from events@d.o.

----------START----------------------------------------

Debian Logo and Artworks available for commercial usage

The Debian Project is pleased to announce that, as per trademark
policy v. 2.0 <link>, its logo and marks are freely usable for commercial
purposes, in particular for merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.).
Stefano Zacchiroli, current Debian Project Leader, one of the main
promoters of the trademark policy, explains:

# quote from zack, saying that we're very happy to have a clear and
# explicit trademark policy and happy to have trademarks
# available for commercial purposes and we look forward to see more
# debian-related merchandise around + "we only recommend that you explain
# to your customers how much of the selling cost is donated to Debian"

As the date of the new stable release, Debian 7.0 Wheezy, approaches,
vendors are encouraged in creating Wheezy themed merchandise, using
the artwork of the upcoming release <link>.

# a quote from events team would be great here

The current list of vendors of Debian merchandise can be found here
<link>.

---------------END-------------------------------------

What do you think about it?

@ Zack: I'd like - as you can see - a quote from you more or less on that
tone, but obviously it's your call. The last line is an actual quotation
from your previous mail, tell me if you prefer to rephrase it or if we
can incorporate it as it is.

@ events people: if you have some data on merch sold during the last big
events, like fosdem, minidebconf paris etc, it would be great to speak
about it here.

Cheers,
Francesca

ps: I'm thinking of Friday-Saturday as deadline to send this out, as next
Monday we'll have DPN again
--
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear
that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful