Re: call for merchandise on -news (?)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 05:48:52PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> Below my very very first draft: I'd like to have some feedback especially
> from events@d.o.

Heya, sorry for the delay and thanks for your draft!
Here's an updated one (changelog of sort follows):

----------START----------------------------------------

Debian Logo and Artworks available for commercial usage

The Debian Project is pleased to announce that, according to the terms of the
marks are now <a href="$(HOME)/intro/free">freely usable</a> for both
non-commercial and commercial purposes. The Debian Project <em>encourages</em>
usage of its marks for all purposes and recommends to use them to promote Debian
and free software.

Stefano Zacchiroli, current Debian Project Leader, one of the main promoters of
the trademark policy said <q>Software freedoms and trademarks are a difficult
match. We all want to see well-known project names used to promote free
software, but we cannot risk they will be abused to trick users into downloading
proprietary spyware. With the help of <a href="http://www.spi-inc.org/";>SPI</a>
struck a good balance releasing our new trademark policy. Among other positive
things, it allows all sorts of commercial usages; we only recommend to clearly
inform customers about the part of the sale price which will be donated to
Debian.</q>

As the date of the new stable release, Debian 7.0 Wheezy, approaches, vendors
are encouraged to create Wheezy-themed merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, mugs,
etc.), using the artwork of the upcoming release <link>.

# a quote from events team would be great here

Check out the current list of <a href="$(HOME)/misc/merchandise">Debian
merchandise vendors</a>, and see the information at the bottom of the page if
you want to be added do it.

---------------END-------------------------------------

> What do you think about it?

It's great!

I've just made a few changes in the draft above:

- reworded the intro to broaden the scope a bit
- added the quote (less explanatory, as I've moved the important part of the
  explanation to the first paragraph, and a bit more "visionary")
- moved the sample list of merchandise after the quote
- added the links I knew of, to make your work easier (hopefully) when
  converting to WML
- added at the end the link to /merchandise and specified that the page also
  contains info on how to be added to the list

I think the following is still TODO:

- I don't quite like the title, as it put too much the accent on the commercial
  part. Anyone has better ideas?

- en_IT review of everything I've written! :)

> @ events people: if you have some data on merch sold during the last big
> events, like fosdem, minidebconf paris etc, it would be great to speak
> about it here.

Hint, hint.

> ps: I'm thinking of Friday-Saturday as deadline to send this out, as next
> Monday we'll have DPN again

Err, we almost made it :-) ... sorry, my fault!

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .