Re: On -news and -announce usage

Hi there!

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:00:14 +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 02:15:36PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
>> I just noticed (gmane seems to not work anymore for -announce) that
>> - -announce is not only used for “*Important*announcements* Major news and
>> very important changes in the project.” [1], anymore but is also used
>> for “*Debian*News*[…]*and*otherwise* General news about the distribution
>> and the project.” [2]: artwork contest [3], BSPs [4] and New machine [5]
                                               ^^^^
>> are definitely not -announce material.
[...]
>  I thought it could be a good idea to
> rationalize the use of the two mailing lists used for press/publicity
> announcements and, as no-one objected in the press team,  I started using
> -news only for DPN and -announce for all the announcements.
> I didn't think it could have such an impact, since David noted it on
> IRC. (So: thank you David for the heads up)

Not only to play evil here, -news will soon receive all the
officially-listed events:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=643647#30>
  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=657297>

> Note also that with the soon-to-come blog.debian.org we will probably
> decide to publish some minor news only there, and this will make
> -announce probably lighter than now.

I still think that whatever ends up in blog.d.o, it should be duplicated
on a mailing list (which can read whenever I want, not only when I am
online).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca