Re: Der Einfall der DebConf

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 06:30:00PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 06:03:06PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > Because she's an experienced translator in Debian who is sharing her
> > experience in how to make things better?
>
> "Good" is not what I would say about the German translations of
> software, for example Debconf templates, in Debian. I am a native
> speaker of German, and all my Debian systems run with an "en" locale,
> for a reason.
>
> Unfortunately, the German translators (the people who invented pearls
> like "SMTP-Sendezentrale"[1]) in Debian are fully convinced that
> they're doing the right thing, so I have given up argueing.

Oh, the memories. I still remember my first Debian installation and my
total puzzlement when I was asked whether I want to configure a
"smart host". My thoughts were somewhat similar to "I want to send mail,
not host it".

Sorry, but "smart host" is a word that should best be removed from every
user visible piece of documentation, including debconf. There's no
indication that it has anything to do with e-mail or the sending of it
(what exactly is "smart" about said "host"?).

> "Der Einfall der DebConf" is really really embarrassing.
>
> Greetings
> Marc
>
> [1] a Masterpiece which has a blazing 159 hits on a major search
>     engine compared to 225000 for "smtp smart host"

mail relay server: 2340000
Does that mean the templates will be changed?

Although I cannot come close to your numbers. For "smtp smart host" with
quotes, I get close to 40000, without quotes I get over 1.5 million
hits on Google.

	Thomas