Re: Debian is now the most popular Linux distribution on web servers

Hi Paul,

Le 2012-01-10 15:37, Paul Wise a écrit :
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

Publicity team, looking at the trend from October 2009, we see that CentOS
and Debian have been pretty close all the time. But indeed, CentOS goes
above Debian in Summer 2010, and just went back slightly below. My question
is whether this is a sign of a trend, or just some temporary fluctuation.
Why does this happen now? The graph shows CentOS going over Debian during a
6 months period of huge share growth from April 2010 to October 2010, where
Red Hat Enterprise Linux almost lost as much market share. Can such a quick
change be explained?
I'm thinking that presenting the statistic could be interesting, but an
interpretation would be much better.
There were some recent issues (reported on LWN and other places) with
CentOS taking a long time to put out a release after a new RHEL
release, those might have had an effect.

I agree that was unexpected and should have an influence on the graph. But the new RHEL release in question is RHEL 6, released in November 2010. CentOS 6 was released in July 2011. The strange period of growth that puzzles me starts about in April 2010 and ends in October 2010, a little *before* RHEL 6. How could CentOS gain almost 8% of Linux market share in just half a year?

For what it's worth, if CentOS is considered the same as Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, then Debian is still by far in second place.
Personally I would consider it the same.

Although the graphs are technically correct, I think that for most purposes, when people compare the popularity of GNU/Linux distributions, they would indeed consider RHEL and RHEL clones as the same. It would be technically correct to say that Debian is now the most popular, but I don't think it would be fair to Red Hat.