Re: Debian is now the most popular Linux distribution on web servers

Hello Filipus,

I see your problem with the units in the graph. It has been taken from one of our standard reports, where it is explained, but it should have been pointed out in the article too.

This is the complete report: http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux The unit is percentage of market share amongst Linux distributions. If you change the time frame, you can see older data: http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux/all/q. We don't have data earlier than Oct 2009, that's when we started our surveys.

That is still not what you want in terms of verifiability. As it says in the article, Debian is used by 9.6% of the websites. We explain our methodology here: http://w3techs.com/technologies. We use the Alexa top 1 million sites as a sample. We do this in order to minimize the impact of spam sites, e.g. someone building thousands of identical "sites" as a link farm, which could cause wild fluctuations.

hope that helps.
Sam