Re: "welcome" part in DPN

Hi,

Le 19/12/2011 08:57, Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:45:37AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:

>> On Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>>> - it is not reliable (new email -> you are new),
>>
>> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
>
> This was pasted from a IRC discussion so it might be missing some context.
>
> The udd page that is being used to generate this stats just shows the new
> people who has made an upload to debian in cronological order. The "unique
> field" here is the email. Even if some manual cleanup is done, some people
> is still being welcomed as new...

I don't know what is the last time someone not new has been welcome as
new, but I spend quite some time to avoid this since it has been spotted
(looking for names that are or look the same is quite annoying, but I
don't mind continuing).

>>> - it only welcomes people doing uploads or being sponsored (and we all know
>>> the project have a lot of more kind of contributions)
>>
>> that's easy to solve by rewording that paragraph.

“# people have started to maintain packages” is already accurate IMHO,
but if you can think of any improvement…

> That does not address the part where DPN only welcomes people doing or being
> sponsored uploads.

Sure, but we don't have any metric about other kind of contributions
(e.g. we don't have a list of people who provided debconf translations).
IMHO, it's not because we can't welcome every kind of contributors, that
we should not welcome packaging contributors (it's a new DPN feature
available since UDD offers this view).

> Frankly, I don't care if this section is removed or not in DPN, I asked about
> this in IRC and I was asked to send an email to the list, so I did. My biggest
> point here is either you welcome all kind of contributions or you don't
> welcome any and just save it for people becoming project members.

Following the same logic, if we remove the “new contributor” part, we
should also remove the “new DM” one: it's a contributor status that
allow people to upload packages to the archive, there is no equivalent
for other kind of contributions. The only fair status wrt non-packaging
contributors is “new DD”…

I don't mind ditching these parts if we believe it doesn't fit here, but
as already stated, I don't mind continuing removing manually the not new
“new contributors”.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to echo the fact that we welcome all
kind of contributors, but not mentioning new packaging contributors in a
packages-based distribution, because we are not yet able to welcome
other kind of new contributors, seems a bit exaggerated.

Regards

David