Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN

Hi Francesca,

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> It's too easy, IMO, to claim to be part of the team only when there's a
> decision to be taken, writing zillion of mails, and not when there is
> actually *work* to be done on DPN.

The publicity team has a wider scope than just the DPN. I recognize that I
have only a minor role in the DPN (i.e. very few commits) but I do care
about it (enough to be subscribed to -commits and to review many
of them).

My main contribution to this team is helping to handle the moderation of
posts on Identi.ca. It's not a huge one, but it's one nevertheless.

> I, too, find really demotivating that non-regular editors can drive a
> decision of such importance. It makes you feel like your active and
> enthusiastic work during this last year - writing DPN every
> two-weeks or so- isn't so valuable.

I don't think I have driven any decision, it's true that in an ideal world
I should have stayed out of this discussion but given that it was not only
about this specific case but about a general policy of what has its place on
the DPN or not, I felt important that my point of view be also considered.

That said, your work as well as the work of David is very much
appreciated, rest assured of this. The fact that we disagree about
what is appropriate for DPN does not change anything (at least for me).

I truly hope this discussion will not demotivate you. Debian doesn't
deserve this.

Now, let's try to go forward. But for this I think we need to come back to
the scope and the purpose of the DPN. Alexander defined it like this: “the
DPN are about informing about events in the wider Debian universe”.

Do you agree with this definition?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer