Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN

Le 2011-10-09 16:14, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
Hi,

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
[...]

The liberation fund is asking for donations to freely license the
book's content. This part is quite clearly inappropriate for the DPN
- if people think freeing the book deserves donations, they should
get it listed as a specific option by SPI. If SPI considers this
worthy of inclusion, then *maybe* the DPN could indicate that this
option was added.
I would pretty much say the opposite... it's in the interest of Debian
to have a DFSG free book so we must advertise the possibility to get it
freed.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I didn't mean to say the opposite. I meant to say the part is inappropriate *as it currently stands*. It is quite possible that the book's price is reasonable and deserves advertising.
And I don't really understand why you involve SPI here. The rules for
the liberation have already been set and SPI is not involved.

I'm not talking about changing the rules of liberation. The problem we were discussing is the suitability of the donations request for the DPN. The issues with the current form the request takes does not mean it is *impossible* to have an appropriate request. If SPI considers the book as good value, then it could add that option, which would allow the DPN to simply tell people that the SPI now accepts donations specifically for buying the copyright or a certain license on the book. This would solve the problem of the current request to donate to third parties.

Then, if SPI would accumulate 25 000 € in donations, it could buy the book. Or whatever additional amount the owners would request (subtracting pledges not made through SPI).