Re: Announcing d-i betas / rcs properly

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 18:33 +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

> So, hoping that I don't distract you from your job, do you have any
> timeline?  And can you tell us, what we should announce / where we can
> find your changes?

In the meantime RC1 was announced on d-d-a. I've taken the liberty of
condensing it and rewriting it for a wider audience, any thoughts?

The Debian Installer team is pleased to announce the first release
candidate of the installer for Debian 6.0 (Squeeze), some changes since
the second beta of the installer include:

This release candidate includes the new SpaceFun artwork for Squeeze,
you can preview this artwork on the wiki page[1] and watch a video of it
in action at Youtube[2].

This release candidate adds support for the Lao and Sinhala languages.
The keyboard support for Finnish has been fixed. In total 70 languages
are activated in the installer for Squeeze and for at least 57 of these
the whole installation process is translated.

The Linux kernel used by the installer has been updated to the latest
version of 2.6.32 available in Squeeze. The handling of non-free
firmware has had some usability issues fixed.

This release candidate adds support for three extra computer systems;
YDL PowerStation (PowerPC), QNAP TS-119P+ and TS-219P+ (ARM). This
release candidate has also seen several improvements on PowerPC
machines, including fan control improvements, IDE support for Efika
5200B, network support for IBM Power 6 and later System P boards and use
of unique filesystem identifiers and labels for more reliable booting.

Some major improvements of the Squeeze installer over the Debian 5.0
(Lenny) installer include ...FIXME...

More changes are available in the Debian Installer team's announcement
to the Debian community[3].

There are some known issues[4] with the installer that do not need to be
reported, but the Debian installer team do need your help to find more
bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs,
other media and everything you else you will need are available at the
web site[5].

     1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun
     2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBW5qE1eDmM
     3. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/01/msg00002.html