Re: An additional flavor for the official logo

On Nov 10, 2010, at 10:51, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 11:50:37AM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>> We are preparing (yet another) little booklet about Debian for
>> handing out at the Debian booth.  While composing it, somehow natively
>> the new meaning of the bottle in the official logo emerged:
>>
>> http://www.onerussian.com/tmp/debianlogo.svg
>>
>> Our spelling of the used acronym came even prior we recalled the
>> official logo (we were using openlogo first).
>>
>> Do you feel such a logo would be inappropriate for representing Debian?

Personally I feel the logo changes the bottle from a "magic bottle" from which a genie might emerge to a "liquor bottle" which will make one drunk if one drinks from it.

Now I have no problem with liquor, I like it and I drink it. ;) But I don't feel that it is appropriate symbolism for a technical project like Debian. Not because it might offend those whose religion or politics or ethical system discourages the use of alcohol, but because it does not represent the context of Debian well.

For me, escaping "dependency hell" by using apt-get felt like "magic" the first time I did it. That the project is represented as a flask that holds this magic has a powerful verisimilitude for me. A bottle of what might be cognac does not have anywhere near the same potency.

Warm regards,

Jeremiah