Re: blog.debian.org - technical planning

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 06:07:02PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - decent security track record
> - support for common blogging features (comment, ping/trackback, …)
> - some way of having guest post authors (I dream of a CMS-like workflow
>   where every DD can submit a blog post for review/publication)
> - someone willing to administer it :)
> - accepted by DSA
>
> I consider the above set of requirements more than reasonable.

So, I've discussed a bit the issue with DSA on IRC, to get their POV on
this matter. DSA too prefer not to have Wordpress, for security
concerns. As others mentioned on this list however, there are
arrangements of (virtual) machines hosted by DSA with services
administered by others, such as wiki.d.o and forums.d.n. If Ana, as it
is in her own right having done the job thus far, requests Wordpress, we
might aim for something like that.

From here, I believe that a plan to go ahead might be as follows:

- set up the blog engine instance that will be used for blog.d.o
  - configure, tune, etc.
- register blog.debian.net and make it point to it
- set up redirects from the other blog-ish resources we have (times.d.n,
  news.d.n, what else?) so that subscribers to their feeds get pointed
  to blog.d.n
- add blog.d.n to planet
- announce!, including suggested work-flow for contributed blog posts

Cheers.