blog.debian.org - technical planning

Phew, it's been a long time since I started this, it's surely time to
wrap it up!

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:24:07PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Dear marketing / publicity / press / ...,
>   I can't find any past discussion on the subject of having blog.d.o,
> so I'm looking forward to your opinions on the matter.

Reading the feedback to the proposal, it seems to me that it is fairly
uncontroversial. I've also spoken with Ana---who has present is the most
prolific author and editor of blog-ish Debian resources, thanks!---face
to face in a couple of occasions and she is positive about the idea as
well.

It's then about time to go ahead with some technical planning (which in
Debian can usually become a can of worm :-)). I actually have *two*
plans.

My original idea was to have a ikiwiki instance, for three reasons: 1)
it seems to be fairly popular in Debian, 2) with a Git back-end is
distributed and we can propose a model in which every prospective post
contributor can clone, write, and ask the editor to merge the chance
easily, 3) it will require only static page delivery which I thought was
a requirement from DSA.  On the dark side, the blog post comment
interface of ikiwiki is still, IMHO, less usable than that of other blog
engines (see for instance #579794, which is a usability pet peeve of
mine).

Talking with Ana, she wouldn't like that and (IIRC!) would prefer to
have a more standard blog engine a-la wordpress and, apparently, has
already had an agreement with DSA, as long as others do the
administration of the app. (Ana: please correct me if I don't remember
correctly, I'm digging in my memory from DebConf10, shame on me for not
posting this before!)  I'm very much for do-ocracy, so if Ana or anyone
else is up to administering a wordpress (or equivalent) running at
blog.d.o, by all means I'm fine with that.

My only extra requirement would be to make it very easy for other DDs to
propose draft blog post, which get posted after approval by the main
editor of blog.d.o. Ideally, it would be nice if any DD can have an
automatic (or very easy to get) account on blog.d.o, work in the real
authoring interface of the blog engine, and then "submit for review" the
post. That way we would both encourage participation and reduce
bottlenecks.

As a big disclaimer: I haven't yet discussed any of this with DSA; let's
first see what is the desiderata here ... one needs to start somewhere.

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams